Want to see your name in lights? Want to boost your bio with a writing award? The Writers on the Rise Summer Writing Contest gives you a chance to strut your nonfiction writing stuff-and enter to win great prizes. Plus, your submission fee of $12 helps us continue to deliver the valuable writing guidance that has been taking your career forward since 2003!
The Grand Prize winner will be chosen from the entire pool of submissions.
- Published in Writers on the Rise
- Signed copies of all writing books published by Writers on the Rise contributors past and present. Go to our aStore to view them as a collection.
- One-hour writing career consult with Christina Katz, Publisher of Writers on the Rise and author of Writer Mama: How to Raise a Writing Career Alongside Your Kids (Writer’s Digest Books, 2007)
- For each of the four categories listed below, we will choose a First Prize winner whose work will be published in Writers on the Rise on October 1, 2007.
- First prize winners will receive a signed copy of Writer Mama: How to Raise a Writing Career Alongside Your Kids (Writer’s Digest Books, 2007)
Entries will be evaluated for clarity, originality and quality of writing. We are looking for technically strong writing, as well as fresh voices that offer new twists on evergreen ideas. You may submit your articles to print publications simultaneously.
- How-to article
- List article
- Personal essay
- Profile or interview
If you’re not sure how to approach these forms, Writer Mama by Christina Katz will tell you everything you need to know.
- Word count: Entries must be 500 words or less.
- Format: Please provide entry as a Microsoft Word document, double-spaced.
- Please include the following information at the top of the first page: name, email address, phone number, submission category, word count.
- Please include a brief (50-75 words) bio about your writing and publishing experience at the end of your entry.
- Deadline: Submit your entry to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 31, 2007
- Entry Fee: $12 (You can mail a check, or submit payment by Paypal, but please submit all writing via e-mail: more info below…)
- Publication rights: Both new and previously published work welcome!
- Unlimited submissions: Submit as many times as you like. Each entry must be accompanied by a $12 reading fee.
- Judging: Christina Katz, publisher and Sage Cohen, managing editor of Writers on the Rise will judge the WOTR Summer Writing Contest.
- Contest results will be announced October 1, 2007
Good luck! We look forward to reading and considering your work!